Blogging Away!

Miracles Do Still Happen July 6, 2012

Filed under: Uncategorized — AshleyNDavis @ 8:36 pm
Tags: , , , ,

What a crazy, chaotic adventure yesterday was! We arrived in Miami on the 4th and spent the night with my parents and Mack at a hotel so that, if necessary, we could switch to the morning flight on the 5th based on the weather. In order for Mack to fly, the forecasted temperature at departure has to be 85 degrees or less. Between Andrew, my mom, and I, we must have checked the weather forecasts a hundred times. When we all woke up on Thursday morning, the forecasted temperature at 7:00 p.m. was right where we needed it to be at 85 degrees. We relaxed at the hotel for a while and checked out at 2:00. Then we found a restaurant that had tables outside for us to eat at with Mack. We all enjoyed a nice lunch together then took Mack to a nearby park to run around. We decided to arrive at the airport at around 4:00 p.m. in order to assemble Mack’s crate and get everything unloaded from the car. The plan was to check in about 2 ½ hours before our flight. Everything was going perfectly to this point. I did a final refresh of the weather on my phone as we got in line with all 4 pieces of luggage, 2 carry-ons, 2 personal items, a crate, and a dog. We were still forecasted at 85 degrees.

In the 20-25 minutes we waited in the line to check in, the forecasted temperature rose one degree to 86. We had no idea until we got to the counter and the woman checking us in told us he would not be able to fly because of the temperature being to high. Sure enough, when I hit refresh on my phone of the weather channel page I had up, the forecast at 7:00 p.m. was 86. Andrew and I were shocked and devastated. All day, things were looking perfect. The man that helped us in with all of our stuff also helped us move it all to a sitting area at the end of the airport. My parents were circling the airport at this time while we were trying to check in to make sure it all went smoothly, and it had not. I called my mom and as soon as I said the words “they won’t let him fly,” I burst into tears. This was our worst nightmare coming true before our very eyes. My parents parked the car and came in to sit with us while we tried to figure this all out. Andrew and I started praying immediately for something to change and Mack to be able to fly. I started to walk to the bathroom where I could just cry for a moment to myself in peace, and the arrival/departure board caught my eye. One little departing flight on the board was highlighted yellow, and it was ours. The flight had been delayed by 30 minutes. In that moment, God was telling us to have some faith.

I ran back to the counter and asked the woman if this were true. She said it was and that we could check the forecasts again. It was now forecasted at 86 for 7:00 p.m. and 85 for 8:00 p.m. She went ahead and handed me forms to fill out but said we still needed to wait a little while to check him to make sure the temperature was steady. It was probably around 5:30 p.m. at this point. We religiously checked the forecasts on our phones. Even though it was getting later in the day, the forecasted temperature was somehow rising. The 15 minute intervals showed that in no time at all, the forecast for our new departure time of 7:40 p.m. had risen too. Our little bit of hope had evaporated. Andrew and I stood there looking at the arrival/departure board as I just cried. We were going to have to leave him behind. I began to make phone calls to discuss some sort of back-up plan. We went to the counter to discuss our options. I begged for more time to check the temperature, but at this point we were also risking Andrew and I not making the flight either. The woman said we could have 15 minutes more at max. We had to start checking in by 6:20 p.m. or so without the dog if the forecasted temperature was still too high. We went back to sit with Mack and my parents and all of our stuff. At 6:18 p.m. or so, Andrew and I refreshed the weather forecast and saw that at 7:45 p.m., it was still forecasted at 86 and at 8:00 p.m. it was 85. We forced ourselves up from our seats and onward to the counter to tell the woman we would be checking in without the dog. It took a moment for her to get with us as she was working with someone else at first. In that moment, with tears streaming down my face, I hit refresh one last time. The temperature had just dropped to 85 at 7:45 p.m. Andrew was looking over my shoulder and we freaked out, almost yelling to the American Airlines staff, “He can fly! He can fly!” The supervisor pulled the forecast up on his screen and nodded his head. We were good to go. I told the woman I’d be back in 2 minutes with all of our stuff. Andrew and I ran back to my parents and said “We have to go now! He can fly!” Everyone grabbed something and we took off running to the counter.

It took about 20 minutes to get completely checked in. At this point, when we dropped the dog off at TSA to be inspected, the plane was already boarding. Andrew and I still had to make it through security and down a sky tram to our gate. We ran in the places we could run, and prayed in the places where we just had to wait patiently. When we arrived at the gate, they were still boarding. We got on the plane and as soon as that thing took off, I started crying tears of absolute happiness and gratefulness. It was a miracle.


2 Responses to “Miracles Do Still Happen”

  1. Doug Davis Says:

    This reads as good as any adventure novel (who done it) that I have ever read. And, I must admit that I have thought during all this process – and I’m talking about my son and daughter-in-law – that maybe God has more important things to do than to worry about a dog, even though he is my only grand child, getting on an airplane. After all, he could always fly later. But, when people cry out in faith, things can happen. As Paul said in 1st Corinthians 13 “now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror”, but it is God’s to decide. We are told that He knows the number of hairs on our heads, and that not a sparrow falls that He he does’t know about. Well, I guess He decided, and two servants were rewarded because of their faith. Also, one little black, furry creator is pretty happy with the way things worked out.

  2. Karen Bernstein Says:

    This makes me so happy!! God is so good and He rewarded you with one degree for being obedient to His call!! By the pics on Facebook, Mack is loving Costa Rica:) I hope all is well with you guys!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s